Chapel Street and Crabbery Street, Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1980 - 1985 (c.)

Description:This view looking south from the Chapel Street and Crabbery Street junction towards Albion Place and Bath Street in Stafford was taken by Stafford photographer Tony Boydon.

On the left there is a glimpse of the Noah’s Ark Inn and the rear entrance doors into St John’s Market. The Market buildings were demolished in the early 1990’s to make way for the construction of the Guildhall Shopping Centre, which incorporated the Noah’s Ark Inn into the Shopping Centre.

In the centre the view through the trees is towards St Mary’s Place, also centre is the former Police Club building, centre right is Bath Street Police Station which was built on the corner of Bath Street and Albion Place in 1931. The police had moved from the station in the Guildhall on Market Square because they required larger premises. The police station transferred to a new building in Eastgate Street in the 1970s and the old station on Bath Street was demolished early 1985.

On the right is the County Supplies (D.I.Y.) shop which was also demolished during the redevelopment of the area.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1830s
Noah's Ark Inn, Stafford
Noah's Ark Inn, Stafford

Pencil and wash drawing by Great Haywood born artist, Thomas Peploe Wood (1817-1845). The ...

1910s
Arthur Brown butchers, Stafford
Arthur Brown butchers, Stafford

Shop front of Arthur Brown's butchers shop at 1, Crabbery Street in Stafford. The ...

1980s
Police Station, Stafford
Police Station, Stafford

The Police Station was built on the corner of Bath Street and Albion Place in 1931. ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Ordering:Click the button to add the item to your basket. Follow the link for further information on ordering.

Creators: Tony Boydon - Creator

Donor ref:P2005.004.4337 (37/32775)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.