Demolition of Railway Bridge, Hopton Lane, Hopton

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:August 1990

Description:Pictured is the demolition of the Stafford-Uttoxeter line railway bridge which stood at the junction of Hopton Lane and Sandon Road (B5066), near Hopton, Stafford.

The Stafford-Uttoxeter line opened in December 1867, but nineteen years later the company folded and the line was then acquired by the Great Northern Company.

Passenger traffic was withdrawn in 1939, but the line was kept open for milk traffic. The high cost of maintenance proved too expensive and the line closed in 1951, having never shown a profit. It was broken up in 1959.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Ian Hazlehurst - Creator

Donor ref:IH-056 (192/32446)

Source: Mr Bob Metcalfe

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.