Christmas Party, Lotus Ltd., Stone

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1960

Description:Pictured in the centre of the front row is Miss Christine Williams (wearing glasses) along with employees and guests during a Christmas party. This view was taken inside the wooden Bowling Clubhouse at the Lotus Ltd. shoe factory on Oulton Road, Stone. At the time there was a bowling green in front of the clubhouse. The site of the clubhouse and bowling green is now a car park.

Lotus was originally named Bostock's and was founded in the eighteenth century by Thomas Bostock, a cobbler. His three sons started their own factories in Stafford, Stone and Northampton. The original Stone factory can still be seen behind Granville Terrace. In 1919 the three factories amalgamated to become Lotus.

Lotus remained in Stone until the 1970s. The building was purchased by G.E.C. Meters in 1978 and during 1996 ABB acquired G.E.C. Meters which then became the home of ABB Meters. The old factory buildings on Cross Street and Oulton Road were demolished in 1999 and new housing built.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Ian Hazlehurst - Contributor

Donor ref:IH-055 (192/32304)

Source: Mr Bob Metcalfe

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.