Betley Court

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.


Description:Betley Court was built in 1716 for John Craddock. It was later considerably altered by John Nash in about 1809 and the large porch is a 20th century addition designed by Douglas Caroe.

From the mid 19th century until 1940 Betley Court was the home of the Fletcher-Twemlow family. During the Second World War it was a Red Cross hospital and from 1943 was a rehabilitation centre for patients from hospitals in Stoke-on-Trent. It stood empty for a while before being converted into flats in 1977.

Image copyright Clive Shelton, courtesy of Historic England.

View Location


Link to this resource

Donor ref:IMG0009 Betley Court (201/32129)

Source: Staffordshire County Record Office

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.