Big Mill, Mill Street, Leek

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1966

Description:Wardle & Davenport's Big Mill on Mill Street, Leek. The Big Mill was built in 1857 to designs by William Sugden. It was first occupied by Joseph Broster in 1858.

The silk manufacturing firm of Wardle & Davenport began in 1867 as a partnership between Henry Wardle of Leek, innkeeper and photographer, and George Davenport of Leek, silk throwster. It became a public company in 1899. The company pioneered the manufacture of artificial silk stockings. At its peak, the company employed up to 2500 people at its huge Belle Vue mill but struggled in the 1960s, finally going into receivership in 1970.

From the County Archaeology photograph collection held at Staffordshire Record Office.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Staffordshire County Record Office

Donor ref:C/P/65/7/32/10 (201/32111)

Source: Staffordshire County Record Office

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.