Copeland Cabin, Kibblestone Camp, Stone,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1965 - 1975 (c.)

Description:The Copeland family owned the Kibblestone estate from the mid-nineteenth century. Ronal Copeland started the first Scout Troop in Stone in 1910. In 1921 he became the County Scout Commissioner for North Staffordshire.

Realising the need for a permanent Scout camp, Copeland, who no longer lived in Kibblestone Hall, gave two acres of the estate known as Beech Field as a memorial to his father. In 1927 this became the site of the first Scout camp at Kibblestone.

The site developed over time to include a training ground, swimming pool and open air chapel.

Kibblestone Hall was demolished in 1954, and the camp became the property of the City of Stoke-on-Trent Scout Movement in 1960.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Brampton Museum & Art Gallery, Newcastle-under-Lyme

Donor ref:Borough Museum No., Ref/Sta/3/P87/324, img: 2834 (18/3207)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.