Borough Hall, Stafford,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1890 - 1910 (c.)

Description:The Borough Hall on Eastgate Street was designed by Henry Ward, the Borough architect. It opened on 20 June 1877.

Borough Council offices, the library and the Wragg Museum occupied the ground floor. On the first floor was a large hall with a stage, which was used for meetings, dances, concerts and plays.

The council moved to new premises in Riverside in 1984. The Borough Hall was refurbished and now houses the Gatehouse Theatre.


The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

Stafford Viewed from Coton Hill,
Stafford Viewed from Coton Hill,

View of Stafford from the east. The churches of St. Chad's (left) and St. Mary's ...

Martin Street, Stafford,
Martin Street, Stafford,

View looking towards Eastgate Street. In the distance can be seen Eastgate House, ...

Group of Volunteer Nurses, Stafford,
Group of Volunteer Nurses, Stafford,

Group photograph of First World War volunteer nurses. They are pictured on the ...

Eastgate Street, Stafford,
Eastgate Street, Stafford,

View of the junction of Market and Salter Streets, taken from Eastgate Street. The ...

Stafford Borough and British Legion Band
Stafford Borough and British Legion Band

Stafford Borough and British Legion Band standing outside the Borough Hall in Eastgate ...

View Location


Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Brampton Museum & Art Gallery, Newcastle-under-Lyme

Donor ref:Borough Museum No., Ref/Sta/5/P5/137, img: 2806 (18/3180)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.