All Saints' Church, Sandon,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1905 - 1910 (c.)

Description:All Saints' dates from the Norman period. Inside, in the west window, can be found a fragment of fourteenth century stained glass. The font dates from 1669. In 1851 the north aisle was remodelled to serve as a family chapel for the Earls of Harrowby.

The tomb of Sampson Erdeswick, antiquary and author of 'A Survey of Staffordshire', was erected by himself two years before his death in 1603. The hands of his effigy are missing, reputedly cut off by Parliamentarian soldiers on the way to the Battle of Hopton Heath in 1643.

Erdeswick also had a second window painted on the northern chancel wall to mirror the two opposite.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Brampton Museum & Art Gallery, Newcastle-under-Lyme

Donor ref:Borough Museum No., Ref/Sta/4/P33/132, img: 2805 (18/3179)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.