Aerial view of Cheshire Joint Sanatorium, Loggerheads

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1954 - 1955 (c.)

Description:The Cheshire Joint Sanatorium stood in 250 acres of woodlands. Opened in 1923 the only treatment available was rest, quiet, good food, sunshine and fresh air. There was no heating in the buildings and patients spent much of their time on beds that were wheeled outside. The day consisted of a rigid timetable, men were allowed their first smoke at 7.55am. The development of the streptomycin antibiotic in 1944 enabled treatment by GPs and ultimately led to the demise of the Sanatorium. It closed in 1969.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Mr John Underhill

Donor ref:(55/31548)

Source: Miscellaneous Collection

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.