Corner of Mill Street and Greengate Street, Stafford,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1970

Description:On the left is Chetwynd House, built around 1712-1715 by William Chetwynd, 3rd Viscount Chetwynd (1683?-1770), Member of Parliament for Stafford 1715-1722 and 1734-1770. Chetwynd House was Stafford's General Post Office since 1914 until it closed in 2007. The Post House bar and restaurant opened in 2011. The interior still maintains some of its original features.

On the opposite of Mill Street is Dobson's tobaconnists, with Sneekers Shoe Saloon selling Clark's shoes on its right.

Built in 1746 by William Chetwynd (whose family seat was Brocton Hall, now a golf club), the house was sold in the 1780s to William Horton, a shoe manufacturer.

Richard Brinsley Sheridan (playwright, and M.P. for Stafford, 1780 - 1807) was a friend of Horton's and often stayed here.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1860s
Greengate Street, Stafford,
Greengate Street, Stafford,

Note the cattle tethered by the Swan Hotel, whose sign can be seen clearly in the ...

1880s
Greengate Street, Stafford,
Greengate Street, Stafford,

These buildings on Greengate Street were replaced by the Royal Brine Baths in 1892. The ...

1900s
Greengate Street, Stafford,
Greengate Street, Stafford,

The Gothic building on the left was the District Bank, completed in 1907. Inside ...

1920s
Bridge Street Fire Station, Stafford,
Bridge Street Fire Station, Stafford,

The fire station was built in 1885 at the junction of Greengate Street and Bridge ...

1940s
District Bank, Stafford,
District Bank, Stafford,

The Manchester and Liverpool District Banking Company opened a branch in Stafford ...

1960s
Restoring cars at the Swan Hotel, Stafford
Restoring cars at the Swan Hotel, Stafford

Ron Winkle with one of his restored cars. Mr Winkle ran a car restoration business ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:P2000.022.0014 (18/3052)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.