Castle Street, Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1980

Description:This view was taken looking southwest from the Castle Street railway bridge (over the West Coast Main Line) in Stafford. On the left are several abandoned railway buildings, centre right on the horizon are two tall blocks of flats Binyon Court and Brooke Court, located on the Highfields estate and on the right is a partial view of GEC’s Castle Engineering Works.

This GEC site was originally the home of W.G. Bagnall Ltd., which was established in 1870 in Castle Street. Bagnall's first locomotive was produced in 1875, the company going on to produce machines for collieries and overseas plantations. Eventually Bagnall's was manufacturing powerful locomotives for some of the world's most important railways.

In 1951 Bagnall's merged with Brush Traction Ltd., and in 1959 the firm was sold to W.H. Dorman Ltd. Two years later they were taken over by the English Electric Co. and production at the Castle Street works ceased. The English Electric Co merged with GEC (The General Electric Company) during 1968 and the site became part of GEC Power Engineering Ltd., known as GEC Castle Engineering Works (or Castle Works).

Over the years the Castle Works site was controlled by the GEC company management based at the Site Services Division on the Lichfield Road site in Stafford. Some of the buildings at Castle Works were rented / leased out to several organisations including GEC Ceramics (later GEC ALSTHOM Ceramics) and from 1984, Landon Engineering. Also on the site from around 1988 were the WEC and ITeC, these formed part of the Work Experience Centre which offered a range of training facilities for unemployed people and included the YTS (Youth Training Scheme) providing basic skills such as gardening, woodwork, upholstery, information technology and engineering. In later years the site stood empty and during August / September 2013, It was reported in the Staffordshire Newsletter and the Express and Star newspapers that the derelict buildings on the Castle Works site were being demolished to make way for a housing development.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Ordering:Click the button to add the item to your basket. Follow the link for further information on ordering.

Creators: Tony Boydon - Creator

Donor ref:P2005.004.0326 (37/30488)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.