Mercer's Saddlers Shop, Stafford,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1970

Description:Mercer's shop on the corner of Bridge Street and Mill Bank, established in 1910.

In 1928 the council purchased Mercer's, along with various other buildings between the shop and the Coach and Horses public house, in order to widen Mill Bank (only part of Mercer's shop was demolished). During the demolition the lower courses of the old town walls were revealed; they are now under the road surface of the present Mill Bank.

The business closed and the shop was demolished in about 1960, when the road was widened for the second time.

To the right is Chetwynd House, which was Stafford's General Post Office between 1914 and 2007. The initials of William Chetwynd (1683?-1770), who had the house built in 1712-1715, can still be seen in the wrought-iron gateway.

On the left is the Bath Hotel, more recently Seamus O' Donnell's Irish Bar and The Tavern.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1870s
Bridge Street, Stafford
Bridge Street, Stafford

View from Green Bridge towards Chetwynd House. Mr Jenkinson, a baker and confectioner, ...

1900s
Royal Brine Baths, Stafford
Royal Brine Baths, Stafford

In the 1880s a thick bed of salt was discovered on Stafford Common, during the search ...

1920s
Greengate Street and Mill Bank Corner, Stafford,
Greengate Street and Mill Bank Corner, Stafford,

View showing Henry Mercer's saddlers shop and the Baths Hotel on Greengate Street. In ...

1940s
Chetwynd House, Stafford,
Chetwynd House, Stafford,

Chetwynd House was built around 1712-1715 by William Chetwynd, 3rd Viscount Chetwynd ...

1970s
Corner of Mill Street and Greengate Street, Stafford,
Corner of Mill Street and Greengate Street, Stafford,

On the left is Chetwynd House, built around 1712-1715 by William Chetwynd, 3rd Viscount ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:P2000.022.0015 (18/3047)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.