English Electric Co., Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1940 - 1950 (c.)

Description:Pictured is the Steel ‘Plate’ Yard at the English Electric Works, Stafford, in an area close to the West Coast Main Line, Queensville Bridge and the A34 Lichfield Road. The buildings in the background are part of the Switchgear Division factory and several have traces of war-time camouflage paint. In the foreground are railway lines which formed part of an internal transport system around the works and which had a connection to the nearby West Coast Main line. In later years several of these buildings were demolished to make a car park and those remaining were re-clad, made into offices and in 2015 still in use. The English Electric Co. was renowned for its electrical products including generators, transformers and switchgear.

This image is taken from a glass negative donated to the Staffordshire County Museum by Alstom Power, Lichfield Road, Stafford.

Siemens Brothers purchased the land in 1901 and built the factory and offices which were ready to start production in 1903. In 1918 Siemens merged with several companies, including Dick, Kerr and Co., to become the English Electric Co. Two years later in 1920, The English Electric Co bought the Stafford Works. The English Electric Co merged with GEC (The General Electric Company) during 1968 and the Lichfield Road Site became part of GEC Power Engineering Ltd. On 22 March 1989 became part of GEC ALSTHOM, an Anglo French Joint Venture. On 22 June 1998 became part of ALSTOM with global HQ in Paris and on 2 November 2015 the Stafford Grid and Power Businesses became part of GE (General Electric, an American Company).

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Ordering:Click the button to add the item to your basket. Follow the link for further information on ordering.

Creators: Mr Andy Ellis, Alstom Power, Stafford - Contributor

Donor ref:AE-49a (37/30346)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.