W. G. Cowie, Rector of St. Mary's Church, Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1866 - 1869 (c.)

Description:William Garden Cowie (1831-1902) was born in London and was curate of St. Clement, Cambridge in 1854 and then at Moulton, Suffolk 1855 to 1857. He was appointed Chaplain to British forces in India from 1857 until 1866. He was present at the siege of Lucknow in 1858 and participated in the Afghan Campaign of 1863-1864. In 1865 he served as Chaplain of Duty to the British residents of Kashmir and wrote an essay 'Notes on some of the Temples of Kashmir'.
Returning to England in 1866 he was a curate in Doncaster and then Rector of Stafford from 1866 to 1869. He was selected by Bishop Selwyn (the first Anglican Bishop of New Zealand and later Bishop of Lichfield) to be the first Bishop of Auckland, consecrated in 1869. He encouraged the training and appointment of Maori clergy. In 1868 he was elected as Anglican primate of New Zealand. Bishop Cowie died at Parnell, Auckland in 1902.

He married Eliza Jane Webber of Moulton, Suffolk in 1869. She too died in 1902, a few weeks after her husband.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1810s
St. Mary's Church, Stafford,
St. Mary's Church, Stafford,

The Collegiate Church of St. Mary is the parish church of Stafford. The present ...

1840s
St. Mary's Church, Stafford,
St. Mary's Church, Stafford,

The Collegiate Church of St. Mary is the parish church of Stafford. The present ...

1880s
Advertisement for Marson's Grocers, High House, Stafford,
Advertisement for Marson's Grocers, High House, Stafford,

Tea wrapper from William Marson's grocery business, established in the High House ...

1940s
Verger and Rector, St. Mary's Church, Stafford,
Verger and Rector, St. Mary's Church, Stafford,

The Verger, A.J. Turner, with the Rector, The Ven. W.A. Parker, Archdeacon and Rector ...

1970s
St Mary's Church organ, Stafford,
St Mary's Church organ, Stafford,

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: William Salt Library

Donor ref:William Salt Library No., Marson/Vol1/P7, img: 265 (18/3028)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.