The Ballroom, Trentham Gardens

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1940 - 1945 (c.)

Description:The Ballroom at Trentham Gardens during the Second World War when it was being used as the Bankers' Clearing House.

The Ballroom was built by Trentham Gardens Ltd. on the site of the old kitchen gardens in 1930-31. It closed in 2002 and was demolished shortly afterwards.

Planning for the move of Clearing Banks from the City of London began in 1938, and in February Trentham ballroom and banqueting suite were identified as their emergency base in case of war. The banks moved in on 26 August 1939 and started work two days later, shortly before the start of the Second World War.

The 'Big 5' clearing banks occupied the dance floor: Barclays, Lloyds, Midland, National Provincial and Westmister. Other smaller banks occupied the stage and an outbuilding. The Bank of England were above the kitchen. The vast majority of staff were women who worked very long hours in uncomfortable conditions. After the war the Clearings returned to London in 1946.


Photograph taken from the banks of the river Trent.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Mr Antony Rigby

Donor ref:(55/30095)

Source: Miscellaneous Collection

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.