English Electric Co., Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:April 1965

Description:This large transformer is pictured parked outside the English Electric Transformer Factory in Stafford. It is destined for Hydro-Quebec in Canada.

The heavy haulage firm pictured is Wynn’s. In later years the company had its own fleet of dedicated heavy transport vehicles which included heavy haulage tractor units and girder beam trailers. During GEC’s time the livery was yellow with black lettering, in GEC ALSTHOM’s ownership it was white, orange and grey and later with Alstom’s the livery was white, red and blue. In subsequent years the very heavy loads were moved by specialist contractors.

Siemens Brothers purchased the land in 1901 and built the factory and offices which were ready to start production in 1903. In 1918 Siemens merged with several companies, including Dick, Kerr and Co., to become the English Electric Co. Two years later in 1920, The English Electric Co bought the Stafford Works. The English Electric Co merged with GEC (The General Electric Company) during 1968 and the Lichfield Road Site became part of GEC Power Engineering Ltd. On 22 March 1989 became part of GEC ALSTHOM, an Anglo French Joint Venture. On 22 June 1998 became part of ALSTOM with global HQ in Paris and on 2 November 2015 the Stafford Grid and Power Businesses became part of GE (General Electric, an American Company).

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: English Electric Co. - Creator

Donor ref:BM-321 (192/29690)

Source: Mr Bob Metcalfe

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.