GEC, Lichfield Road, Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.


Description:Clerks and typists are pictured using electric typewriters in the Administration Office of the Main Printing and Reprographic Department on the Lichfield Road site in Stafford. The door on the left of the photograph was the entrance to the Main Print Room which produced most of the printing requirements for the site, this included letter headed paper, booklets, photographs and reproducing draughtsmen and draughtswomen’s engineering drawings.

Siemens Brothers purchased the land in 1901 and built the factory and offices which were ready to start production in 1903. In 1918 Siemens merged with several companies, including Dick, Kerr and Co., to become the English Electric Co. Two years later in 1920, The English Electric Co bought the Stafford Works. The English Electric Co merged with GEC (The General Electric Company) during 1968 and the Lichfield Road Site became part of GEC Power Engineering Ltd. On 22 March 1989 became part of GEC ALSTHOM, an Anglo French Joint Venture. On 22 June 1998 became part of ALSTOM with global HQ in Paris and on 2 November 2015 the Stafford Grid and Power Businesses became part of GE (General Electric, an American Company).


The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

English Electric Co. Stafford and Tanks
English Electric Co. Stafford and Tanks

The English Electric Co. Armoured Vehicle Factory (Tank Factory) at Stafford after ...

English Electric Co., Stafford
English Electric Co., Stafford

Pictured is a four anode. 133 kV, 1,200 amp. valve built by English Electric at ...

Battery Electric Shunter, GEC Turbine Generators Ltd., Stafford
Battery Electric Shunter, GEC Turbine Generators Ltd., Stafford

This 70hp Battery Electric Locomotive is pictured close to the One Million Volts ...