Granville Square, Stone,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1904

Description:Granville Square was originally named Pump Square, but when the pump was removed the square was renamed after Earl Granville of Stonepark. Trees were planted to commemorate the coronation of Edward VII in 1901.

In the centre is the Pirehill and Meaford Savings Bank, established in 1818. The building was erected in 1858.

To the left of the bank is the Granville Temperance and Commercial Hotel, now demolished. The post office now stands on this site. Babb's drapers shop is on the right.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1900s
Granville Square, Stone,
Granville Square, Stone,

Granville Square was originally named Pump Square, but when the pump was removed ...

1910s
Peace Celebrations, Stone,
Peace Celebrations, Stone,

Peace Day on Granville Square. Peace Day celebrated the end of the First World ...

1950s
Cooperage, Joule's Brewery, Stone,
Cooperage, Joule's Brewery, Stone,

Joule's Brewery had its own cooperage where beer casks were made. The site is now ...

1990s
Last Sitting of the Stone Bench of Magistrates,
Last Sitting of the Stone Bench of Magistrates,

The last sitting of the Stone Bench of Magistrates before being amalgamated into ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Stone Historical and Civic Society

Donor ref:Stone Hist. and Civic Soc. No., PT00287, img: 2529 (18/2907)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.