Walton Bridge, Stone,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1950 - 1955 (c.)

Description:Walton Bridge carrying Stafford Road over the River Trent. Although much altered, remnants of the medieval stone pack horse bridge can still be seen. The postcard publisher has mistakenly identified it as the bridge over the Trent and Mersey Canal. Since the New Walton Bridge opened in 1984 the old stone-built bridge has only been used by pedestrians.

The church in the distance is St. Michael's, built in 1758 on the site of an earlier Augustinian Priory.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Stone Historical and Civic Society

Donor ref:Stone Hist. and Civic Soc. No., PT00279, img: 2520 (18/2899)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.