Coppice Mill, Stone,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1900 - 1910 (c.)

Description:At one time there were ten mills in the Moddershall Valley which provided material for the pottery industry. This is Coppice Mill on Longton Road, also known as Shardlow's Mill.

In the eighteenth century Coppice Mill was a paper mill, owned by Henry Fourdrinier. By the mid-nineteenth century the building had been converted into a flint mill, and by 1905 the mill was also grinding calcium for use in the bone china industry.

The mill was used until 1953. The central building and chimney have since been demolished.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Stone Historical and Civic Society

Donor ref:Stone Hist. and Civic Soc. No., PT00380, img: 2500 (18/2879)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.