First Stone Guide Group, Kibblestone Camp, Stone

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1920 - 1930 (c.)

Description:Guiding in Stone owes its origins to the Rev. Arthur Haig, Minister of the Congregational Church, the Rev. A. Stevens, Congregational Minister of Burslem and Miss Howard, Captain of the 1st Burslem Guides. The 1st Stone Guide Company was registered in London on 22 February 1916.

The Copeland family owned the Kibblestone estate from the mid-nineteenth century. Ronal Copeland started the first Scout Troop in Stone in 1910. In 1921 he became the County Scout Commissioner for North Staffordshire.

Realising the need for a permanent Scout camp, Copeland, who no longer lived in Kibblestone Hall, gave two acres of the estate known as Beech Field as a memorial to his father. In 1927 this became the site of the first Scout camp at Kibblestone.

The site developed over time to include a training ground, swimming pool and open air chapel.

Kibblestone Hall was demolished in 1954, and the camp became the property of the City of Stoke-on-Trent Scout Movement in 1960.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Stone Historical and Civic Society

Donor ref:Stone Hist. and Civic Soc. No., PT00377, img: 2497 (18/2876)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.