Unloading Barrels, Three Crowns Inn, Stone,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1950 - 1955 (c.)

Description:The Three Crowns Inn is a former coaching inn on the London to the north-west route.

The dray belongs to Joule's Brewery of Stone, founded by Francis Joule in 1780. Francis' son, John, took over the company in 1813 and the brewery was named John Joule and Son. In 1873 Joules was sold to three brewers from Liverpool - John Parrington, Thomas Harding and John Harding.

Joule's thrived throughout the second half of the nineteenth century. Local deliveries were made by dray and the company owned forty shire horses and twenty drays. The Trent and Mersey Canal which passed behind the Newcastle Street Ales Stores enabled transport to other parts of the country, and exports to America and Europe left from the docks of Liverpool and Hull respectively. Transport by barge eventually gave way to railway and from the 1920s drays were replaced by lorries.

Joule's was taken over by Bass Charrington in 1970, but production ceased four years later.

Share:


Image courtesy of: Stone Historical and Civic Society

Donor ref:Stone Hist. and Civic Soc. No., PT00355, img: 2474 (18/2857)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.