Twigg Street, Brookhouse Green, Stoke-on-Trent

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1954

Description:This photograph shows terraced housing at Twigg Street, Brookhouse Green, prior to demolition to make way for the Bentilee housing estate.

When built in the 1950s Bentilee was the largest post-war housing estate in Europe. It was a self-contained township in its own right and had a Woolworth's store, Boots' Chemists, medical clinic, public houses, clubs, churches, schools and a library.

These photographs were taken as part of the bidding process by a bus company wishing to provide services from Hanley to Bentilee. The numbers in the image titles refer to their distances from the departure point in Hanley. This location is 2 miles from Hanley.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Mr Neil Collingwood

Donor ref:(55/28419)

Source: Miscellaneous Collection

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.