GEC Turbine Generators Ltd., Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1983

Description:On the left facing the photographer is Peter Marsden and on the right Alan Smith They are pictured attending a Buyers Conference at the Borough Hall in Stafford. In the background the display boards contain photographs with examples of products made in GEC’s Generator factory.

GEC Turbine Generators Ltd. was based on the A34 Lichfield Road, near to the Queensville Bridge in Stafford. It was part of the GEC Power Engineering Group which was renowned for its electrical products including generators, transformers and switchgear.

Siemens Brothers purchased the land in 1901 and built the factory and offices which were ready to start production in 1903. In 1918 Siemens merged with several companies, including Dick, Kerr and Co., to become the English Electric Co. Two years later in 1920, The English Electric Co bought the Stafford Works. The English Electric Co merged with GEC (The General Electric Company) during 1968 and the Lichfield Road Site became part of GEC Power Engineering Ltd. On 22 March 1989 became part of GEC ALSTHOM, an Anglo French Joint Venture. On 22 June 1998 became part of ALSTOM with global HQ in Paris and to date (May 2015) continues to be part of the ALSTOM Group.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1930s
English Electric Co., Stafford Works Ambulance
English Electric Co., Stafford Works Ambulance

Pictured is the English Electric Co. Daimler ambulance at the Lichfield Road site ...

1960s
English Electric Co., Stafford, Annual Fire Brigade Competitions
English Electric Co., Stafford, Annual Fire Brigade Competitions

One of the Fire Brigade teams is pictured preparing hoses to aim at the competition ...

1980s
Tug and locomotive, GEC Alsthom, Stafford
Tug and locomotive, GEC Alsthom, Stafford

On the right (left to right) are David Jones and Bernard Duffy who are pictured ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Peter Marsden - Contributor

Donor ref:BM-PM-01 (192/28021)

Source: Mr Bob Metcalfe

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.