English Electric Co., Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1946 - 1950 (c.)

Description:Standing on the left is Mr J. Rogers, General Manager of Works and 3rd from the left is Mr J. W. C. Milligan, Manager Stafford Works. They are pictured with a group of visitors and engineers in front of a large power transformer in the Transformer manufacturing section of the Lichfield Road Works. The English Electric Co. in Stafford was renowned for its electrical products including generators, transformers and switchgear.

Due to the rapid development of transformers a new Transformer Works on an adjacent site was later required. The planning for this began in 1955, building started in August 1957 and by November 1958 occupation began. The new factory covered around 245,000 sq. ft. and cost £2 million to build and £1 million to equip. In addition a 40,000 sq. ft. four floor office block accommodating transformer design and commercial staff was built.

This image is taken from a glass negative donated to the Staffordshire County Museum by Alstom Power, Lichfield Road, Stafford.

Siemens Brothers purchased the land in 1901 and built the factory and offices which were ready to start production in 1903. In 1918 Siemens merged with several companies, including Dick, Kerr and Co., to become the English Electric Co. Two years later in 1920, The English Electric Co bought the Stafford Works. The English Electric Co merged with GEC (The General Electric Company) during 1968 and the Lichfield Road Site became part of GEC Power Engineering Ltd. On 22 March 1989 became part of GEC ALSTHOM, an Anglo French Joint Venture. On 22 June 1998 became part of ALSTOM with global HQ in Paris and to date (May 2015) continues to be part of the ALSTOM Group.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1900s
Millwrights at Siemens Bros. factory, Stafford
Millwrights at Siemens Bros. factory, Stafford

Millwrights with a saddle tank locomotive at Siemens Brothers Dynamo Works, Stafford ...

1930s
English Electric Co. Stafford and the Ministry of Supply
English Electric Co. Stafford and the Ministry of Supply

English Electric staff and Ministry of Supply personnel are pictured during a visit ...

1970s
Walter Glitheroe, Retirement Presentation, GEC Turbine Generators Ltd., Stafford
Walter Glitheroe, Retirement Presentation, GEC Turbine Generators Ltd., Stafford

This view was taken during the retirement presentation for Walter Glitheroe, Senior ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Ordering:Click the button to add the item to your basket. Follow the link for further information on ordering.

Creators: Mr Andy Ellis, Alstom Power, Stafford - Contributor

Image courtesy of: Mr Bob Metcalfe

Donor ref:AE-47 (37/27939)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.