Chinese House and Boat House, Shugborough Park,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.


Description:The design for the Chinese House was taken from sketches made by Sir Percy Brett, who accompanied Admiral Anson during his voyage of circumnavigation. The journey included a stay of some months in China.

The Chinese House was completed in 1747, making it the first garden building at Shugborough and one of the earliest examples of the eighteenth century fashion for Oriental design. It was followed in 1752 by the building of a five tier Pagoda over the Sherbrook.

Originally the Chinese House was situated on an island in a canal, linked to the land by two bridges of Chinese design; behind one of these bridges was a small boathouse. This was altered after the floods of 1795 (which also destroyed the Pagoda) when one arm of the canal was drained, connecting the house to the bank.

In 1885 the contents of the Chinese House, including the plaster ceiling, were removed to Shugborough Hall for safekeeping.

View Location


Link to this resource

Donor ref:P75.005.0006 (18/2791)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.