English Electric Co., Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:18th of February 1944

Description:The officers and members of the crew of H.M. Submarine Visigoth are pictured at the Stafford Works. Among those in the photograph is Mr J W C Milligan (front row centre), Manager, Stafford Works. On the left of Mr Milligan is Lieutenant T F Jones, Royal Naval Reserve and on the right of Mr Milligan is Lieutenant John Renwick Haigh Haddow, DSC, Royal Navy.

The Vampire Class Submarine had been adopted by company employees and the crew were entertained at Stafford for the weekend. Arrangements were made by the Submarine Committee which comprised of members of works and staff committees who provided books and games and during the visit homes were provided by employees. The programme included a tour of the works, a dance and presentation to the Captain of an inscribed Bible for the submarine. In the background are the club rooms of the English electric Social and Athletic Association.

Siemens Brothers purchased the land in 1901 and built the factory and offices which were ready to start production in 1903. In 1918 Siemens merged with several companies, including Dick, Kerr and Co., to become the English Electric Co. Two years later in 1920, The English Electric Co bought the Stafford Works. The English Electric Co merged with GEC (The General Electric Company) during 1968 and the Lichfield Road Site became part of GEC Power Engineering Ltd. On 22 March 1989 became part of GEC ALSTHOM, an Anglo French Joint Venture. On 22 June 1998 became part of ALSTOM with global HQ in Paris and to date (April 2015) continues to be part of the ALSTOM Group.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1940s
Packing Dept., English Electric Co., Stafford
Packing Dept., English Electric Co., Stafford

Packing meters on the Lichfield Road (Main Works) site in Stafford. In the 1960s ...

1960s
English Electric Co., Stafford
English Electric Co., Stafford

Pictured are Craft, Technician and Student Apprentices receiving their practical ...

1980s
GEC, Lichfield Road, Stafford
GEC, Lichfield Road, Stafford

This image is taken from a GEC Turbine Generators Limited (Generator Division) Sales ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: English Electric Co. - Creator

Image courtesy of: Mr Bob Metcalfe

Donor ref:BM-294 (192/27870)

Source: Mr Bob Metcalfe

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.