Meaford Hall, Stone,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1965

Description:Photograph taken from a sale catalogue.

A hall has stood on this site since the seventeenth century. Towards the end of the century a William Jervis of Chatcull bought the estate, and in 1740 soldiers of the Duke of Cumberland were billeted in the hall. In 1735 John Jervis was born; he later became an Admiral and Earl St. Vincent.

The hall was modernised in the early nineteenth century and remained in this state until 1872, when Lady Forester extended and renovated the building.

In 1943 Meaford Hall was sold, and during the Second World War it was used by the U.S. Army and pupils from Alleynes Grammar School. In the mid 1960s the existing estate was sold to Percy Bilton Ltd., who used the hall for offices for about twenty-five years.

By 1996 it remained empty and vandalised, until the estate was sold and the new owner restored what remained of the hall. The building opened on 14 February 1997, the bi-centenary of the Battle of St. Vincent, John Jervis' greatest victory.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1900s
Meaford Hall, Stone,
Meaford Hall, Stone,

A hall has stood on this site since the seventeenth century. Towards the end of ...

1930s
Bi-centenary Souvenir, John Jervis, Earl St. Vincent, Stone,
Bi-centenary Souvenir, John Jervis, Earl St. Vincent, Stone,

Souvenir card celebrating the bi-centenary of the birth of Admiral John Jervis. John ...

1960s
Aerial View of Meaford Hall, Stone,
Aerial View of Meaford Hall, Stone,

Photograph taken from a sale catalogue. A hall has stood on this site since the ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Staffordshire County Records Office

Donor ref:County Record Office No., D50/43, img: 2346 (18/2746)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.