Women's Land Army Girl, Eccleshall,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1944 - 1946 (c.)

Description:The WLA began during the First World War to help combat food shortages and fill the vacancies left by the men who had entered military service. The women who enrolled had the option of working in agriculture, timber cutting or foraging (animal feeds).

The girls had to cope with the same work originally undertaken by the men; in agriculture this included muck spreading, hoeing, harvesting operating tractors and farm machinery.

The WLA was reorganised in 1938 under the threat of war, and continued to 1950.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1860s
Portrait of Mr Poole, Murdered near Eccleshall,
Portrait of Mr Poole, Murdered near Eccleshall,

This man, named Poole, was murdered by George Bentley in 1866. The two men stopped ...

1890s
Page Boy and Flower Girl, Eccleshall,
Page Boy and Flower Girl, Eccleshall,

1920s
Doctor's House, Eccleshall,
Doctor's House, Eccleshall,

Doctor Goss's house at the junction of Stafford Street and Stone Road. It is being ...

1940s
Group Portrait of Eccleshall Flight,
Group Portrait of Eccleshall Flight,

Eccleshall Flight of the Stone and District Squadron Air Training Corps.

1980s
King's Arms, Eccleshall,
King's Arms, Eccleshall,

The King's Arms on Stafford Street was originally named The Unicorn. Its neo-Elizabethan ...

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Baker, Jan

Donor ref:J. Baker No., PT00240, img: 2345 (18/2745)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.