Barlaston Hall Estate

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1890

Description:This is probably the track that led from Old Road Farm towards Barlaston Hall. It was later converted into the public road named Wedgwood Drive.

Barlaston Hall stands on a hill, overlooking the Trent Valley. It was built in 1756 for Thomas Mills, an attorney from Leek. The design is attributed to Sir Robert Taylor.

In 1774 Barlaston Hall featured on one of the dishes of a dinner service produced by Josiah Wedgwood for Empress Catherine II of Russia. Barlaston Hall and estate was later purchased by the Wedgwood family in 1937; they developed a modern factory and village there.

In the late 1940s the hall became the Wedgwood Memorial College but, due to dry rot, the college was forced to move to 'The Limes' in 1949. The hall was neglected and fell into disrepair, but was renovated in the 1980s.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:Barlaston Hall estate ()-AK014 (196/27296)

Source: Mr Andrew Kirkham

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.