Catholic Chapel, Blackshaw Moor Polish Resettlement Camp

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1965 - 1969 (c.)

Description:A group of girls from the Polish community at Blackshaw Moor resettlement camp, standing outside the Roman Catholic chapel. the chapel stood until the 1990s.

In 1946, displaced Polish servicemen and their families moved in to the transit camp built in 1943 for the U.S. Army. Although conditions in this Moorland setting were harsh, a strong largely self-contained community developed. gradually its residents left for Poland, Argentina, U.S.A., Canada and other parts of Britain, and by the time the camp closed in March 1964 there were only 50 families left. These families moved into a new council estate opposite the Three Horseshoes Inn. Today, these houses and a camping site have replaced the resettlement camp.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Mr Neil Collingwood

Donor ref:642043-009 Blackshaw Moor Camp Catholic Chapel w (55/26817)

Source: Miscellaneous Collection

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.