Coach House, Rear of the Bear Inn, Stafford,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1966

Description:Coach house (centre) in the rear yard of the Bear Inn on Greengate Street.

The Bear Inn was built in the seventeenth century Bear Inn on the site of the Old Black Bear Inn; it is possible some of the old building was used in the structure of the present.

In the eighteenth century the inn was known as the White Bear and was one of four coaching inns in Stafford, the other three being The Star and The George on Market Square, and The Swan (opposite The Bear). Only The Bear and The Swan survive to this day.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1850s
Martin Street, Stafford,
Martin Street, Stafford,

Watercolour painting by Great Haywood born sculptor and artist Samuel Peploe Wood ...

1870s
William Marson and Magic Lanterns, Stafford,
William Marson and Magic Lanterns, Stafford,

William Albert Marson held public magic lantern shows featuring his 'dissolving ...

1890s
Brookfield's Department Store, Stafford,
Brookfield's Department Store, Stafford,

Brookfield's Department Store was on Market Square. The building is now occupied ...

1900s
Shire Hall and Market Square, Stafford,
Shire Hall and Market Square, Stafford,

Stafford had held a weekly market since the Middle Ages. In 1853 a covered market ...

1920s
Aerial View of Stafford, Greengate Street,
Aerial View of Stafford, Greengate Street,

View looking north up Bridge Street, Greengate Street and Gaolgate Street. Gaol ...

1940s
Averil's Entry, Stafford,
Averil's Entry, Stafford,

Averil's Entry, looking towards St. Mary's Grove. Averil's Entry runs between ...

1960s
Rear Yard of the Bear Inn, Stafford,
Rear Yard of the Bear Inn, Stafford,

Rear yard of the Bear Inn on Greengate Street, which included a coach house. The ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:P66.003.1528 (18/2676)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.