Shugborough Hall, Milford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1950 - 1955 (c.)

Description:Shugborough is the ancestral home of the Anson family, who were later created the Earls of Lichfield.

The central block of the house was built in 1693. Thomas Wright of Durham designed the pavilions with their bow windows in the 1740s.

In the late eighteenth century, Thomas Anson, a convert to neo-classicism, commissioned James 'Athenian' Stuart to make further alterations to the house and build monuments in the park, with funds largely provided by his younger brother Admiral Lord Anson.

The last alterations were made by Samuel Wyatt between 1790 and 1806. Wyatt added the portico on the entrance and cased the exterior in slates, painted to look like stone. Wyatt also designed Shugborough Park Farm and the gate-houses.

In the 1960s Shugborough was given by the Treasury to the National Trust in lieu of death duties. Today the house and estate are open to the public.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Mr Bob Metcalfe

Donor ref:BM-038 (192/26559)

Source: Mr Bob Metcalfe

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.