National Fire Service, Eccleshall

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1941 - 1945 (c.)

Description:National Fire Servicemen outside the Fire Station on High Street, Eccleshall. Eccleshall Fire Station was erected in High Street in 1891. More recently, the building has been a hairdressing salon and shop.

The Auxiliary Fire Service was formed from volunteers at the outbreak of war, to assist the regular Fire Brigades. The name was changed to The National Fire Service in August 1941 when the regional regular Fire Brigades and the AFS were merged. After the war the NFS was dissolved and Fire Brigades returned to being organised on a regional basis.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1880s
Millward family, Eccleshall
Millward family, Eccleshall

The Millward family pictured in a horse-drawn vis-a-vis phaeton. Henry Millward ...

1920s
H. Williams & Co. Garage, Eccleshall
H. Williams & Co. Garage, Eccleshall

Horace Williams' Garage on High Street, Eccleshall. This picture is taken ...

1940s
National Fire Service, Eccleshall
National Fire Service, Eccleshall

The Eccleshall National Fire Service is pictured outside Eccleshall Fire station ...

Share:


Image courtesy of: Mr Pat Trevor

Donor ref:PT-032.jpg (194/26501)

Source: Mr Pat Trevor

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.