Silverdale Schools plaque

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1990

Description:In 1990 the Mill Street Junior School was demolished. This stone plaque was rescued and incorporated into the new Silverdale County Primary School buildings on Racecourse.

In 1872 a school was opened in the Primitive Methodist Sunday school building on Earl Street. In 1875 the school was taken over by Wolstanton School Board and moved to a new Infants School on Mill Street the following year. In 1877 a Junior School was built on the opposite side of the road. The school continued to grow and new extensions were built in 1902-3. The boys and girls schools were combined in 1933 to form a Junior Mixed School.

The new Silverdale County Primary First School was built on Downing Street (now racecourse) in 1976 and officially opened on 27 May 1977. The Junior School on Mill Street carried on until subsidence problems in the late 1980s. A Junior extension was built and opened in November 1990, and the original Mill Street Junior School was demolished, the site now occupied by housing. The original infants school building remains and is now the Youth and Community Centre.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1900s
Infants School Class, Siverdale, Newcastle under Lyme
Infants School Class, Siverdale, Newcastle under Lyme

Pupils and teachers at Silverdale Infants School, Mill Street, Silverdale. In ...

1930s
Silverdale County Primary School Girls
Silverdale County Primary School Girls

In 1872 a school was opened in the Primitive Methodist Sunday school building on ...

1940s
Silverdale Primary School pupils and staff
Silverdale Primary School pupils and staff

In 1872 a school was opened in the Primitive Methodist Sunday school building on ...

1990s
Mill Street Junior School, Silverdale
Mill Street Junior School, Silverdale

The Junior School on Mill Street during demolition in 1990. The stone plaque was ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Mr Robert Blaney

Donor ref:Silverdale CP School name stone after demolition 1 (55/26294)

Source: Miscellaneous Collection

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.