Demolition of a Timber Framed House, Hixon

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:March 1998

Description:Thorn Lea Cottage was built as a pair of cottages in the seventeenth century on High Street, next to where the Memorial Hall stands today. In the 1920s the Barlow family rented the house from Miss Huntbatch, who kept the Post Office on Featherbed Lane. At this time there was no electricity and a well in the yard supplied water.

In the 1930s the timber framed structure was covered with brickwork. Many people were unaware that Thorn Lea Cottage was very old, until 1998 when the house was demolished and the original timber frame was exposed.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1920s
Washing Up, Memorial Hall, Hixon,
Washing Up, Memorial Hall, Hixon,

Washing up outside the Memorial Hall on High Street, possibly after celebrating ...

1950s
Elderly Inhabitants, Hixon,
Elderly Inhabitants, Hixon,

Photograph taken in High Street. Some of the group are wearing Edwardian clothing....

1970s
Building the Memorial Hall Extension, Hixon,
Building the Memorial Hall Extension, Hixon,

The Memorial Hall was built in 1926 on High Street to commemorate the Hixon men ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Hixon Local History Society

Donor ref:Hixon Local History Society No, PT00176, img: 2198 (18/2598)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.