Glassworks, Eccleshall, (2)

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1994 - 1995 (c.)

Description:Crucibles, for melting a sand and ash mixture.

These remains of Tudor glassworks were found in Bishop's Wood in the 1930s. Although heavily restored, they are one of the most complete examples of a sixteenth century glassworks in the country. The furnaces, crucibles, benches used to raise the crucibles, and the fire trench can still be seen.

Glass manufacture was introduced to the area by Bishop Overton, who moved to Eccleshall Castle (residence of the Bishops of Lichfield and Coventry) from Chichester Cathedral in 1580. He believed to have invited glass-makers from Sussex and Kent to exploit the area, which was rich in the raw materials such as stone, wood and ferns, required for glass manufacture.

Parish registers first record the names of glass manufacturers living in the area in 1582, but in 1615 a law was passed banning the use of wood in glass-making. The industry moved to Newcastle-upon-Tyne and Stourbridge, where coal was in plentiful supplying for the furnaces.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Baker, Jan

Donor ref:J. Baker No., PT00067, img: 2132 (18/2532)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.