Blacksmith's Shop, Walton on the Hill

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1900 - 1910 (c.)

Description:With the white beard is blacksmith Thomas Fletcher outside his smithy in the early 1900s. For over 60 years he was been a regular bellringer at Baswich Church. He had a pony and trap in which he would carry people to Stafford. He retired around 1914. Thomas was born in 1843 and died in 1939 aged 96. Ted Giles then became the village blacksmith.

The cottage beyond the smithy was later the Post Office.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1890s
William Longson and Annie Longson, Walton School
William Longson and Annie Longson, Walton School

Photograph of William Longson (1867- 1948) and Annie Longson, nee Fryer (1872- 1950) ...

1920s
Walton on the Hill Post Office
Walton on the Hill Post Office

Samuel and Kathrine Woods at Walton on the Hill Post Office.

1970s
Walton on the Hill Smithy
Walton on the Hill Smithy

Mr W.M. Giles, the village blacksmith, shoeing a horse at Walton on the Hill Smithy ...

2000s
Laura Husselbee, Walton on the Hill
Laura Husselbee, Walton on the Hill

Laura Husselbee, nee Dutton (1902-2001), who wrote the book 'Down by Jacob's Ladder' ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mrs E. Giles - Contributor

Image courtesy of: Mr Jim Foley

Donor ref:Blacksmith's_Shop_Walton_on_the_Hill.jpg (55/25147)

Source: Miscellaneous Collection

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.