Construction of Rugeley 'A' Power Station

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1956 - 1957 (c.)

Description:A photograph showing the construction of Rugeley 'A' Power Station and Lea Hall colliery. The chimney and half clad boiler house are the power station and the lower concrete buildings behind the cottage are the mine.

Rugeley Power Station was opened in 1963 on the site of Boothurst House for the Central Electricity Generating Board. Building work on the Rugeley 'A' Power Station began in 1956 on a site adjacent to the River Trent. The power station shared the site with Lea Hall Colliery, which supplied coal directly to the power station via a conveyer. Lea Hall Colliery was closed in 1990 and five years later Rugeley 'A' Power Station was also closed.

Construction of Rugeley's 'B' 1000mW Power Station began in 1965 and was completed in 1972. The power station closed in June 2016 and is currently (2019) being demolished.

View Location


Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Mr Tony J. Smith

Donor ref:img289.jpg (55/24759)

Source: Miscellaneous Collection

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.