Burton Bridge

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1900 - 1915 (c.)

Description:Lantern slide view of Burton Bridge over the River Trent.

Burton Bridge is first mentioned in the very early 12th century, but there may have been a bridge here even earlier than that. The old bridge was 515 yards long, 15 feet wide and had 33 to 37 arches. As with many medieval bridges, it had a chapel. This stood at the town end and was demolished in about 1777. The bridge was widened to 26 feet in 1831.

The old bridge was demolished between 1864 and 1876 and a shorter and wider new bridge opened in 1864.

Copyright: Burton Library.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1730s
Burton Bridge
Burton Bridge

Lantern slide copy of a print produced by Samuel and Nathaniel Buck in 1732, shoewing ...

1770s
Burton upon Trent from the north east
Burton upon Trent from the north east

Lantern slide view of an engraving of Burton upon Trent. North east view showing ...

1840s
Burton Bridge
Burton Bridge

A lantern slide view of an engraving of Burton Bridge from the eastern, Winshill ...

1900s
Burton Bridge
Burton Bridge

Lantern slide view of Burton Bridge from the western, town side, showing the River ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:CBL-150 (187/23959)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.