Hunt Meet at Eccleshall Castle,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1930 - 1931 (c.)

Description:The castle was used as the residence of the Bishops of Lichfield. The first reference to this building was in 1200, when Bishop Geoffrey Muschamp obtained a royal licence to embattle a manor house in the town. The castle was enlarged by Bishop Walter de Langton between 1297 and 1321.

In 1643 the castle was badly damaged whilst under siege by Parliamentarian forces during the Civil War, so in the latter half of the seventeenth century Bishop Lloyd built a new house within the ruins of the old. This is the manor house which can still be seen today; all that remains of the original castle is the north-east tower and the bridge, which spans a now dry moat.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1900s
Eccleshall Castle,
Eccleshall Castle,

The last surviving tower of Eccleshall Castle, on the north-east corner. Archaeological ...

1920s
Manor House from the moat, Eccleshall Castle,
Manor House from the moat, Eccleshall Castle,

View of the manor house of the castle from the moat. The tower on the left was ...

1990s
Manor House, Eccleshall Castle,
Manor House, Eccleshall Castle,

The castle was used as the residence of the Bishops of Lichfield. The first reference ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Eccleshall Library

Donor ref:Eccleshall Lib. No., 34, img: 1949 (18/2394)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.