Burton Bridge

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.


Description:A lantern slide view of the old Burton Bridge at the town side. Construction on the new bridge has begun upstream, on the left of this photograph.

Burton Bridge is first mentioned in the very early 12th century, but there may have been a bridge here even earlier than that. The old bridge was 515 yards long, 15 feet wide and had 33 to 37 arches. As with many medieval bridges, it had a chapel. This stood at the town end and was demolished in about 1777. The bridge was widened to 26 feet in 1831.

The old bridge was demolished between 1864 and 1876 and a shorter and wider new bridge opened in 1864.

Copyright: Burton Library.

View Location


Link to this resource

Donor ref:CBL-030 (187/23839)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.