Effigy, Holy Trinity Church, Eccleshall,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1956

Description:Effigy of Elias-de-Napton which marked his tomb in 1295 when it was in the south aisle of the church.

Elias-de-Napton was prebendary of Eccleshall and the son of the first Lord Broughton. He was Co-adjudicator for the Bishop of Lichfield (who lived in France) and was allowed to wear the bishop's robes and mitre.

The stone lid was in the churchyard for many years and is now very worn. It was brought back inside at the insistence of the North Staffordshire Field Club.

Photograph donated by Stafford Historical and Civic Society, who retain copyright ownership.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1860s
Holy Trinity Church Interior, Eccleshall,
Holy Trinity Church Interior, Eccleshall,

Photograph taken before the 1866 renovations. Holy Trinity Church dates from ...

1900s
Holy Trinity Church Interior, Eccleshall,
Holy Trinity Church Interior, Eccleshall,

Holy Trinity Church dates from the twelfth century. The chancel was replaced in ...

1920s
Dedication of the War Memorial, Eccleshall,
Dedication of the War Memorial, Eccleshall,

Dedication of the First World War memorial in the churchyard of Holy Trinity Church. The ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Staffordshire County Records Office

Donor ref:County Record Office No., D4080/12/45, img: 1933 (18/2378)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.