The Fernery, Darlaston Hall

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1860 - 1861 (c.)

Description:An image from a photograph album belonging to the Jervis family, with the caption: 'The Fernery at Darlaston'. This fernery is constructed from large rocks with a path and many varieties of fern planted amongst them. The man to the right appears to be W.S. Jervis. The late 1850s were the height of the Fern-craze ('Pteridomania'), and Swynfen Jervis was a well known collector.

The Darlaston estate was owned by Burton Abbey, but during the Reformation the estate was sold to James Collier, a wool merchant.

The estate was sold to William Jervis of Meaford in 1655, and it remained in the Jervis family until it was sold in 1880 to James Meakin, a pottery manufacturer. The hall remained in the Meakin family up to 1951.

The hall was then demolished and a large bungalow, 'Springwood' occupies the site.

Image copyright: Simon Swynfen Jervis.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Mr Keith Goodway

Donor ref:K.M.Goodway-10 (55/23710)

Source: Miscellaneous Collection

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.