Lorry made by Haynes and Son, wheelwrights, Stone

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1938

Description:General purpose lorry made by Haynes and son, wheelwrights, Stone. In the background can be seen Cambridge House, then used as a store by the company.

Haynes and Son moved to this site from premises on Station Road, closer to the town centre. Joseph Haynes started business as a wheelwright and blacksmith in Newcastle Street to the north of the Trent & Mersey Canal bridge.

Cambridge House was built on Station Road to house Alleyne's Grammar School in 1843, with an endowment of £15 per annum. In 1889 the school moved again, to new premises at Oulton Cross built on land given by Lady Forester of Meaford Hall. The new school was officially opened by Lord Granville on 17 June 1889. Cambridge House is now (2009) a private residence.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Mr David Haynes

Donor ref:DH-18 (55/23691)

Source: Miscellaneous Collection

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.