Market Square, Stafford,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:May 1924

Description:The building with the balcony is the Guildhall, designed by Charles Trubshaw and built in 1853. It housed the Borough Council, the courts and on the ground floor was a police station. The entrance to the market hall can be seen underneath the balcony; the bell on the roof belonged to the police station.

By the 1930s a new police station was needed and one was constructed on the corner of Bath Street and Albion Place. This building was used up to the 1970s when the police moved to their present location in Pitcher Bank.

The Guildhall was demolished in 1935 when it was rebuilt further back from the square and the market was replaced by a shopping arcade.

On the far left is the Zetland Cafe, demolished in the late 1930s and rebuilt further back. The empty building next to the Zetland belonged to Aston and Sons, furniture dealers.

Photograph donated by Stafford Historical and Civic Society, who retain copyright ownership.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1680s
Old Town Hall, Stafford,
Old Town Hall, Stafford,

There has been a shire building in Stafford since the 1280s, used as a meeting place ...

1790s
Proposed Design for Stafford's Shire Hall,
Proposed Design for Stafford's Shire Hall,

Design for a new Shire Hall on Market Square. In 1790 a decision was made to ...

1840s
Market Square from the South, Stafford,
Market Square from the South, Stafford,

Stafford possessed a market as early as 1206, when Edward the Elder passed a law ...

1850s
Market Square, Stafford,
Market Square, Stafford,

Stafford possessed a market as early as 1206, when Edward the Elder passed a law ...

1880s
Portrait of a Victorian Lady, Stafford,
Portrait of a Victorian Lady, Stafford,

Miniature studio portrait of Susy Macnaghten. She is wearing a ruched velvet ...

1890s
Children Celebrating Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, Stafford,
Children Celebrating Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, Stafford,

1910s
Royal Mail Van, Stafford,
Royal Mail Van, Stafford,

Royal Mail van believed to be the first motor driven mail van in Stafford. The ...

1930s
Guildhall, Stafford,
Guildhall, Stafford,

The Guildhall on Market Square was designed by Charles Trubshaw and built in 1853. ...

1950s
Refuse Collection Wagon, Stafford,
Refuse Collection Wagon, Stafford,

Photograph donated by Stafford Historical and Civic Society, who retain copyright ...

1960s
Aerial View of Stafford from the South-east,
Aerial View of Stafford from the South-east,

View looking north-west from over South Walls and Eastgate Street. The River ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Staffordshire County Records Office

Donor ref:County Record Office No., D4080/6/20, img: 1861 (18/2308)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.