Construction of the Guildhall, Stafford,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:December 1934

Description:The original Guildhall was built in 1853. It housed the Borough Council, the courts and on the ground floor was a police station. By the 1930s a new police station was needed and one was constructed on the corner of Bath Street and Albion Place.

The Guildhall was demolished in 1934 as part of the Borough Council's plans to improve Market Square. The new Guildhall was rebuilt further back from the square and the market was replaced by a shopping arcade.

In the background can be seen the tower of the Wesleyan Church on Chapel Street, and the Chell Road gasometer.

Photograph donated by Stafford Historical and Civic Society, who retain copyright ownership.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1840s
Market Square from the South, Stafford,
Market Square from the South, Stafford,

Stafford possessed a market as early as 1206, when Edward the Elder passed a law ...

1860s
Harry Bostock, Stafford,
Harry Bostock, Stafford,

1880s
Elizabethan House, Stafford,
Elizabethan House, Stafford,

The Elizabethan House was built on Gaolgate Street in the late Tudor period. The ...

1900s
Fair, Market Square, Stafford,
Fair, Market Square, Stafford,

Henry III granted the first annual fair to Stafford in 1261. Fairs had two sides ...

1920s
Christening a New Fire Engine, Stafford
Christening a New Fire Engine, Stafford

Mayor William Thomas Richardson and Mayoress Emily Richardson of Stafford christening ...

1940s
'Steps to Prosperity' Pageant Float, Stafford
'Steps to Prosperity' Pageant Float, Stafford

'Steps to Prosperity' float, encouraging recycling during the post-war period, entered ...

1960s
Aerial View of Stafford from the South-east,
Aerial View of Stafford from the South-east,

View looking north-west from over South Walls and Eastgate Street. The River ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Staffordshire County Records Office

Donor ref:County Record Office No., D4080/1/7, img: 1848 (18/2295)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.