Whit Monday outing to Alton Towers

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1928

Description:A large crowd on the lawn outside the Gardener's Cottage Tea rooms at Alton Towers.

Alton Towers was the home of the Talbot family, Earls of Shrewsbury. It was built between about 1810 and 1852.

The 15th Earl began adapting an existing 16th or 17th century house, Alveton (Alton) Lodge, in about 1810. A number of architects were involved, including Thomas Hopper, William Hollis and Thomas Allason. The new enlarged house was known as Alton Abbey by the 1820s.

The 16th Earl succeeded in 1827, and over the next 25 years greatly expanded the house which became known as Alton Towers. His architects included Thomas Fradgley of Uttoxeter, Joseph Potter and A.W.N. Pugin. After the Earl's death in 1852 a great sale of the conents took place in 1857. The Chetwynd-Talbots lived at the house and partially refurnished it until they left in 1924, and another sale followed. A group of local businessmen bought it and developed it as a tourist attraction. During the Second World War, until 1951, it was occupied by the Army as an Officer Cadet Training Unit. In 1952 all the remaining fixtures and fittings were stripped and sold, leaving the house in a semi-derelict condition.

In 1990 the Tussauds Group purchased the house and grounds and began developing it into the hugely successful Adventure Theme Park it is now. Some of the interiors are gradually being restored.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1840s
Alton Towers
Alton Towers

An engraving of Alton Towers published in the 'Illustrated London News' in 1844. Alton ...

1860s
Conservatory at Alton Towers
Conservatory at Alton Towers

Interior view of the House Conservatory looking towards the Drawing Room. Alton ...

1880s
Great Drawing Room, Alton Towers
Great Drawing Room, Alton Towers

Interior view of the Great Drawing Room, on the left is the arch connecting the ...

1910s
Alton Towers
Alton Towers

A view of Alton Towers from the north, across the ornamental lake. Alton Towers ...

1940s
121st Officer Training Corps Unit, Alton Towers
121st Officer Training Corps Unit, Alton Towers

Group photograph of Officer Cadets and Officers in Charge of No.53 Squad 'B' Battery, ...

1960s
Model Railway at Alton Towers
Model Railway at Alton Towers

One of a series of six views from a lettercard of the Model Railway at Alton Towers. ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Ordering:Click the button to add the item to your basket. Follow the link for further information on ordering.

Creators: Mr Alfred McCann - Creator

Image courtesy of: Staffordshire Museum Service

Donor ref:FP76.41.9649 (37/22685)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.