Proposed Design for Stafford's Shire Hall,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1794 - 1795 (c.)

Description:Design for a new Shire Hall on Market Square.

In 1790 a decision was made to replace the old Elizabethan Shire Hall, which was in a poor state of repair. Several plans were submitted including ones by Samuel Wyatt, who was then working on Shugborough Hall, and John Nash, the favourite architect of the Prince Regent.

The chosen design for the present hall was by John Harvey, who worked as Wyatt's assistant in London. The building was erected between 1795 - 98 and was the third of its kind on approximately the same site. Building began behind the old Shire Hall so that once the old building was demolished the new one would face onto a large square.

Photograph donated by Stafford Historical and Civic Society, who retain copyright ownership.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1680s
Old Town Hall, Stafford,
Old Town Hall, Stafford,

There has been a shire building in Stafford since the 1280s, used as a meeting place ...

1840s
Market Square from the South, Stafford,
Market Square from the South, Stafford,

Stafford possessed a market as early as 1206, when Edward the Elder passed a law ...

1860s
Harry Bostock, Stafford,
Harry Bostock, Stafford,

1880s
Elizabethan House, Stafford,
Elizabethan House, Stafford,

The Elizabethan House was built on Gaolgate Street in the late Tudor period. The ...

1900s
Interior of the Old William Salt Library, Stafford, (2)
Interior of the Old William Salt Library, Stafford, (2)

Interior of the library on Market Square, prior to its move to Eastgate Street. William ...

1920s
Market Street, Stafford,
Market Street, Stafford,

These buildings in Market Street were demolished in the 1960s. The building on ...

1940s
Old Bank Building, Stafford,
Old Bank Building, Stafford,

One of the first banks to open outside London was Stevenson, Salt and Co. in 1737. ...

1960s
Aerial View of Stafford from the South-east,
Aerial View of Stafford from the South-east,

View looking north-west from over South Walls and Eastgate Street. The River ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Staffordshire County Records Office

Donor ref:County Record Office No., D4080/3/30, img: 1817 (18/2264)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.