Old Workhouse and Matron's Cottage, Alstonefield

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1940 - 1950 (c.)

Description:The large building with a three-storey central block was Alstonefield Workhouse and Matron's Cottage. The Workhouse opened around 1817-1818 under the provisions of Gilbert's Act of 1782. It occupied a converted house originally built in 1790. In 1869 Alstonefield Union was dissolved and became part of Ashbourne poor-law union. The Workhouse has since been divided into three residences.

To the right is Olders Barn, believed to have been where Methodism first started in Alstonefield. It too has been converted into two residences.


The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

Alstonefield Band
Alstonefield Band

Back row, left to right: Frank Austin, unknown, unknown, Robin Beresford of Mill ...

Alstonefield Tennis Club
Alstonefield Tennis Club

Back row: Harry Bailey, Maggie Bailey, Bert Riley, Frank Newbould, Robert Arme, ...

Aerial View of Alstonefield
Aerial View of Alstonefield

An aerial view of the village looking south, with the church at the top of the photograph....

View Location


Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Alstonefield Local History Society

Donor ref:Old Workhouse and Matron's Cottage (173/22367)

Source: Alstonefield Local History Society

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.